Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday funny Sunday

We do not serve beer on Sundays.  Happy hour is only Monday through Thursday.  

But considering there was a Pens game, a Pitt men's basketball game and we are booked up for a funeral, I figured everyone should drink as much beer as they want.  

The laws in Pennsylvania make it almost impossible for travellers to buy their own refreshments, anyway.  I am constantly asked by out-of-state guests why they can not buy beer at gas stations.  Sending them to the beer distributor often confuses them, too.

In Pennsylvania, you have to buy beer by the case.  Six packs can only be sold at bars.  

So, I felt generous and set the keg out when I got to work.

What ensued was truly funny.  A mini-wake broke out around the keg.  

Hearing the funny stories of the family that had just lost their loved one put the loss by the Pens in perspective.  

And, they reminded me of my family.  They were clearly missing their younger brother that they lost suddenly, but they made each other laugh with all the funny stories of their shared youth.  My family has the same tendency to come together and make each other laugh even at the saddest times.


I am glad that they could find some comfort with the beer and their stories, all in the hotel lobby. And, I am glad I was here.



No comments:

Post a Comment