Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Can Nod And Smile But Not Through Everything

It's happy hour.  I am at work.  I was just having a good conversation with a frequent guest.  I know he is a frequent guest because I see his name on the computer screen often.  But I have never said more than a quick "hi" to him before.

We were talking about international relations because CNN was on in the lobby.  All fine.  He actually worked throughout the Middle East in the 1990's. 

We somehow got on to our opinions about Palestinians and their treatment in Gaza and the West Bank.  Still, all was fine.

Then he made a a few negative comments about the Jewish people.  I let it slide.  I am at work, and he was drinking.  I am not Jewish, but I do not enjoy intolerance.
Intolerance
Then, he went off.  He made very anti-Semitic remarks.  Homophobic comments.  Anti-Arab comments.  All ending with the crescendo that the Holocaust happened because the Jews were "taking over" Germany at the time. (Oh, but he clarified that he did not agree with Hitler.)

I do realize that I have to watch what I say because guests are entitled to be stupid. I also am representing a company here. 

But I ended the conversation.  It disgusts me that people can be so intolerant.  Oh, and if you run into him and you are not wearing a uniform or otherwise working, let him know that "Arab" is not a religion.    

No comments:

Post a Comment